Ginger and Me
Every year about this time, I think I should get ambitious and make a gingerbread house from scratch – it still hasn’t happened. I thought a little information about the health benefits of ginger might motivate you and me to include more in our diets through other means like stir-fries and curry.
Here’s the scoop, ginger helps:
- Soothe ulcers
- Morning sickness and motion sickness
- Lower cholesterol and platelet clumping
- Reduce inflammation
Time to go make a nice cup of ginger tea. Go overboard with ginger!
Meditation and Immunity
A study on meditation measured brain activity before, immediately after and four months after an 8 week training program in mindfulness meditation. At the end of the 8 weeks, subjects were inoculated with the flu vaccine.
Results showed significant increases in antibody production in the meditators versus the control group, indicating that meditation can improve your immune function.
There are a myriad of other natural immune boosting options, like colostrum, Reishi mushrooms, echinacea, zinc, elderberry, vitamin D, vitamin C, ligustrum etc. Our naturopaths can put together a program tailored to you. Call us at 416-481-0222 or Book Now.
Exercise: It’s Worth Finding the Time For
One of the most common reasons I hear for not exercising regularly is a lack of time for exercise. Given all these health benefits, it’s well worth making the time for.
- Fights chronic disease
- Improves mood
- Manages your weight
- Strengthens your heart and lungs
- Promotes better sleep
- Can spark your sex life
- Can actually be FUN!
So here are a few tips to try to fit it in:
- Get up early and squeeze in a brisk half hour walk first thing
- Take half an hour from your lunch hour for a brisk walk
- Go for a walk as soon as you get home from work and before dinner
- Do a lively dance to some upbeat music in your living room
- It doesn’t have to be a lengthy endeavor at the gym. Just some brisk movement for at least 30 minutes per day.
- Find something that you like: ballroom dancing, karate, swimming, volleyball, tennis, baseball, kickboxing, running, biking, hiking, Zumba etc. With endless options to choose from, there has to be one activity that you enjoy doing and can stick with.