Should You Do Ear Candling or Ionic Foot Baths? Nope!
There are many wonderful, valid therapies that our naturopaths offer at Forces of Nature Wellness Clinic (Herbal Medicine, Acupuncture, Nutrition, Exercise, TCM). There are also a number of things that we don’t do because they are just plain “weird and wacky” and totally unproven. They include:
- Ear candling: The gunk that they are supposedly extracting from your ear is really just the melted ear candle wax.
- Foot detox pads: The black stuff on the pads in the morning is just the herbs that were in the pad mixed with moisture or sweat from your foot.
- Ionic foot detox baths: The crud in the water afterward is not toxins sucked out through your feet, but rather just the results of passing an electrical current between two different electrodes in a conductive solution of salt water.
Exercise: It’s Worth Finding the Time For
One of the most common reasons I hear for not exercising regularly is a lack of time for exercise. Given all these health benefits, it’s well worth making the time for.
- Fights chronic disease
- Improves mood
- Manages your weight
- Strengthens your heart and lungs
- Promotes better sleep
- Can spark your sex life
- Can actually be FUN!
So here are a few tips to try to fit it in:
- Get up early and squeeze in a brisk half hour walk first thing
- Take half an hour from your lunch hour for a brisk walk
- Go for a walk as soon as you get home from work and before dinner
- Do a lively dance to some upbeat music in your living room
- It doesn’t have to be a lengthy endeavor at the gym. Just some brisk movement for at least 30 minutes per day.
- Find something that you like: ballroom dancing, karate, swimming, volleyball, tennis, baseball, kickboxing, running, biking, hiking, Zumba etc. With endless options to choose from, there has to be one activity that you enjoy doing and can stick with.
Minimalist Fruit and Vegetables
Fruit and vegetables are best consumed as fresh as possible, with as little processing as possible. Case in point:
- Refrigerated spinach loses 1/2 of it’s vitamin C content in just 2 days.
- Broccoli and asparagus lose 35-50 percent of their vitamin C in cold storage before they even get to your grocery store.
- Cooking vegetables destroys another 30 percent of the vitamin C and up to 70 percent of the B1 and 50 percent of the B2.
What to do? Eat locally grown whenever possible, even better pick your own and eat it right away preferably raw or only very lightly steamed or stir-fried.
So what about canned food? Unfortunately, the news isn’t any better and add to that the fact that canned food is exposed to bisphenol A from the plastic can liner. Here’s the facts:
- Canning vegetables destroys up to 77 percent of vitamins B5 and B6.
- Canning tomatoes removes 80 percent of their zinc.
- Peaches lose from 40-70 percent of vitamins A, B1, B2, B3 and C during processing compared to fresh peaches.
Any way you slice it – fresh is best!